Saturday 21 December 2013

Hello my name is Dr. Green thumb.









Sugar peas
Hahahaha..... Ash's  will be shaking her head when she reads this title! Before we were married, when we were hanging out, we use to listen to old school music that we use to like, and I use to put on a little Cypress Hill for her. She use to crack up at the music I use to listen to. Dr Green Thumb was one that I use to play for her as part of the Cypress Hill songs I use to like.
But lets get to the reason that I am doing this post. It is not to reminisce about the music that use to like, or about anything to do with growing tomato-less tomato plants, but to explain to you my passion and enthusiasm for growing things.
When I was a young boy growing up in the beautiful town of Invercargill, my Dad was a keen gardener.
Dad always planted pansies, they remind me of him.

Succulent













I remember helping him to dig the grass off the lawn and dig the dirt over so that we could expand the garden that we had. I remember making the hot house frame, and then tacking on the plastic so that he could grow grapes, tomatoes and cucumbers. We had all sorts of berries and a couple of fruit trees, and we were always so keen to eat them that they would barely change colour and we would be eating them. So I give full credit to my father for fueling the interest in gardening. I think in a way too, I started to get into gardening so that I could keep the memory alive that I have between him and me, and the magic moments we would have being together in the garden. Thats why I guess I am so happy, that Ayuri comes and helps me out and takes an interest in planting and growing in the garden.
Poppy!!

 I also have his old wheelbarrow that I remember we used to do the foundation to the garage back in the Islington street house. Its my little thing that I use so that dad is always with me still gardening.
I also like gardening because it helps me to feel closer to God. I think the process of growing something from a seed, that is usually small and one colour, into something that is big or colourful, gives me joy.
Roses

It helps me to remember that when things reach their full potential, they can be beautiful and wonderful. As I have the chance to look after and nurture the seed or seedling, I feel like I am a father to all those plants that I look after. That they rely on me to help them out and give them the conditions they need to flourish.
I do have many weaknesses as a gardener. I tend to not like to spray the veggies with pesticides and herbicides, and this means that I eat stuff from the garden that has spots or a little desease on it. If its blight then I will spray copper on it, but with the other stuff I just let nature do its thing. I don't mind spots, as long as there isn't nasty chemicals being sprayed onto my plants and then being eaten by me. The other issue I have is cabbages, or ice burg lettuces, or any other plant that has to round together. For some reason, they always go to seed. I think the biggest problem is that I plant when the weather is too hot. So this year I planted just before winter, and here is the result.
Finally, a proper cabbage!!

Now I can have home made coleslaw.
Here are some more flowers.... I said to Ash when we first got married that I am not interested in growing something I can't eat.... Nek minit.....





Soooo, I also have heard back from my work about the job I applied for, and I am pleased to say that I got the job.So I am way excited and happy that I got it. I credit it all to the Lords timing and blessing from his hand. I'm so blessed and hope that I will always remember how good He is to me.

No comments: